As I went to a new grocery store the other day, I noticed how easily I can get distracted with all the baked goods and junk foods (and possibly buy) if I’m not paying attention to what I’m putting in my shopping cart. I also went shopping after I my workout – big mistake! I was hungry and all the food temptations looked good to me…LOL. So, I decided to create a list of healthy grocery shopping tips that you can use so you don’t make the same mistakes I did. Make sure to watch the short video that outlines my strategies (above).
In summary, here are the tips:
- Plan your meals for the week including healthy snacks.
- Make a your list out of your meal plan and stick to it. Don’t buy anything that’s not on your list.
- Eat a meal or a snack before you go to the grocery store. Don’t go grocery shopping while you’re hungry.
- Stick to the outside aisles whenever you can. All the junk food and packaged goods are usually in the middle aisles.
- Read the ingredients list if you need to buy a packaged or boxed food. Watch out for sugar and saturated fat and long lists of ingredients. Too much of these ingredients and too many of them is never a good thing.
I also should’ve mentioned in the video to have someone check your receipt when you get home. Ask a friend or your personal trainer, if you have one (a personal trainer, I mean as I’m sure you have friends…lol), to keep you accountable of only buying foods that are on your list and nothing else. I hope these healthy grocery shopping tips will help you at your next trip to the supermarket!